Today we're so thrilled to share this adorable applique pillow tutorial from Plum and June. Beth took the fox from the 'Cut and Sew Dolls' panel print from the Acorn Trail collection and used it as an applique! And it works out great right! Keep on reading for the tutorial.
I was so excited to see that Teagan White was designing a new collection for Birch - especially since I absolutely loved working with her first collection, Fort Firefly. I like how her new collection, Acorn Trail, brings back "Penny" and all her forest friends. For this tutorial, I used a fussy cut fox from the cut and sew panel. I can actually see a whole collection of pillows using this panel and featuring the other animals from the panel and even Penny, herself!
Fussy cut fox from Cut and Sew Dolls
Fat Quarter of Birch Mod Basics in Cream
Fat Quarter of Birch Mod Basics in Pool
Fat Quarter of Tonal Floral in Adobe
1/2 yard of fabric of choice for pillow back
1/2 yard of fabric of choice for backing inside the pillow (won't be visible after pillow is finished)
18" pillow insert
20" x 20" piece of batting
Make the pillow top
1. Cut the following from your fabrics:
from cream: 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" square
from pool: 2 strips 1 1/2" x 12 1/2" and 2 strips 1 1/2" x 14 1/2"
from floral: 1 1/2" x 14 1/2", 1 1/2" x 17 1/2", 2 1/2" x 14 1/2", 2 1/2" x 17 1/2"
2. Sew the two smaller pool strips to either side of the center. Press.
3. Sew the remaining pool strips to the top and bottom of the center. Press.
4. Sew the 1 1/2" x 14 1/2" floral strip to the right side of the center and the 2 1/2" x 14 1/2" floral strip to the left side. Press.
5. Sew the 2 1/2" x 17 1/2" floral strip to the top of the center and the 1 1/2" x 17 1/2" floral strip to the bottom. Press and trim to 17 1/2" square.
Finish the pillow using your preferred method. I used the envelope method which I described in the tutorial I wrote for Birch's Frolic fabric line recently.
Thank you Beth for sharing this super creative way to use the Cut And Sew Dolls from Acorn Trail. We think this darling pillow will cute'n up practically any space!