Monday, December 9, 2013

Tutorial: Ipanema Blocks Quilt {by Plum And June}

Welcome back Beth!  Beth, of Plum and June, is here today to share her lovely Ipanema Blocks Quilt with you!  We think the simplicity of this quilt is an amazing pattern to follow for you first time quilters.  And the design is a perfect unisex pattern, that any baby (or human being for that matter, full grown or otherwise), would love to receive!  Head over to Plum and June, to enter our giveaway and receive your own fat quarter bundle of Ipanema!


I'm happy to be here on the Birch Fabrics blog again to share with you a quilt idea for the new Ipanema fabric line.  There are such wonderfully detailed prints in this line and so I wanted to use a design that would showcase large sections of each fabric.  


When working with fabrics with this type of detail, I like to use improv techniques so that I can let the prints themselves dictate the size of each cut of fabric.  To make this quilt, I started by fussy cutting some of my favorite prints beginning with the one in the middle of the above photo (Ipanema Main in Orange).  That piece measured about 5.25" x 9.75" and basically set the size for the rest of the fussy cuts.


To make your own version of the quilt, select 10 - 15 prints (you can use some of the fabrics more than once).  You'll also need 3/4 yard of background fabric and 1/2 yard of border fabric.  You can cut your fabrics according to the measurements below but if any of the sizes don't work with your preferred fussy cut, just adjust the size of the background fabric above or below it.  In the chart below, the number at the top indicates the measurement for each piece in that column.  For example, for the first piece in column A, you would cut your fabric 3.75" x 9.5", the second piece would be 3.5" x 9.5" and so on. The light blue sections in the chart below should be cut from your background fabric.

*I chose to make each column a slightly different width but you can also just cut all your pieces 9.5" across.  That would result in 3 even columns that measure 9.5" x 31" and would still work with the border measurements below.  


Each row should measure 35" including seam allowances.  Starting with column A, sew the fabrics together.  


With a column this size, I usually just start at the top and sew piece by piece (right sides together) until the row is complete but I know some people prefer to first piece in pairs, then piece those pairs together, and then piece those strips together (as shown below) - just use whichever method you prefer.


Repeat for the second two columns.  Press all the seams and trim if necessary. Each column should now be 31".  


Sew the columns together and press the seams.  


From your background fabric, cut 2 strips 2" x 31".  Sew a strip to each side of the center block and press the seams. *Please note, I'm using exact sizes for the border measurements but I always recommend cutting about 1/2 - 1" longer and then trimming down after attaching each strip.  


Cut two more strips from your background fabric - 2" x 30.5".  Sew one strip to the top of the block and one strip to the bottom and press the seams.


From your border fabric, cut 2 strips 4" x 34" and 2 strips 4" x 37.5".  Sew the smaller strips to each side of the block and press the seams.  Finish by sewing the longer strips to the top and bottom.  


The quilt finishes at 37.5" x 41".  



And I figured I'd use a bit of the leftover fabric to make a quick little messenger bag - I actually might be making quite a few of these for gifts very soon!  

  
Thanks so much for sharing with us Beth!  We hope you'll visit Beth's blog, Plum and June, to see all her other projects.  And don't forget to enter the giveaway we're sponsoring with Plum and June.  You can win your own fat quarter set of Ipanema.  Good luck!



14 comments:

  1. How much fabric for the back of the quilt do you recommend getting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilt is adorable. Can you please share what solid colors you used? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting article! Thank you for sharing them! I hope you will continue to have similar posts to share with everyone! I believe a lot of people will be surprised to read this article!
    Web: Best dissertation writing service

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this marvellous post. it is a very informative blog I really appreciate for this great information. And thank you for sharing. best dissertation writing services

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to thank you for this share, I am an essayist in the US based firm paper writing service . This will definitely help you to gain more knowledge in your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work indeed. These articles are very impressive and also innovative. Keep posting and sharing . Thanks a lot. dissertation formatting service


    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to be a part of a contest for one of the most useful blogs online. Free Robux I'm going to highly recommend this website!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 집에서 편안한 분위기를 유지하면서 몸을 관리할 수 있다는 점이 가장 마음에 들었습니다. 수원출장마사지 이동에 따른 번거로움을 줄이고 개인 일정에 맞춰 이용하기 편리합니다. 하루 동안 쌓인 피로를 부드럽게 풀어주어 몸이 편안해지는 느낌이 좋았고, 바쁜 생활 속 휴식 방법으로 활용하기 좋았습니다.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 야간 시간대의 근무를 선호하거나 낮에 다른 일정이 있는 분들에게 좋은 선택지가 될 수 있겠어요. 밤알바 시간 활용의 폭을 넓혀주는 장점이 있고, 근무 장소와 조건을 미리 확인하면 보다 안정적으로 일정을 계획할 수 있다는 점도 마음에 듭니다.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 시간 관리가 중요한 직장인에게는 이용 과정이 간편한 서비스가 도움이 된다고 생각합니다. 평택출장마사지 관련 내용을 보니 이동 시간을 줄이면서 개인 일정에 맞춰 관리받을 수 있어 효율적인 휴식 방법으로 활용하기 좋을 것 같습니다.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 상품권은 선물용으로 편리하지만 실제 사용 빈도가 낮은 종류는 보관만 하게 되는 경우가 많습니다. 상품권매입 알아보면 보유 상품권을 정리하는 방법을 확인할 수 있어 좋네요. 이용 전 조건과 절차를 꼼꼼하게 살펴보면 더욱 편리하게 활용할 수 있습니다.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 시간 활용을 효율적으로 하고 싶다면 이동 시간을 줄이는 것도 중요한 부분입니다. 수원출장마사지 서비스는 원하는 장소에서 이용할 수 있어 휴식 계획을 세우기 편리합니다. 바쁜 일정 속에서도 필요한 시간을 확보하고 편안한 환경에서 재충전할 수 있다는 점이 실용적인 장점으로 느껴집니다.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 활동량이 많은 날이나 장시간 업무로 몸이 지친 날 편안하게 쉬는 시간이 중요하다고 느낍니다. 출장마사지 익숙한 공간에서 받을 수 있어 심리적으로도 편안하고, 이동 부담을 줄이면서 휴식 시간을 효율적으로 활용할 수 있다는 장점이 있습니다.

    ReplyDelete